Monday, December 28, 2009

I have a recipe that calls for buttermilk powder. What is it ?

Buttermilk powder is often used in baked goods instead of liquid buttermilk. I prefer it because it keeps for a long time in the refrigerator, and costs a good deal less than an equivalent amount of liquid buttermilk. The most popular brand is by Saco Foods, and can be found in most grocery stores in the baking aisle near the flour and sugar. When using buttermilk in baking, 1 tablespoon of buttermilk powder and 1/4 cup of water is equal to 1/4 cup of liquid buttermilk. Pick up some of the buttermilk powder the next time you go shopping, you'll be glad you did!I have a recipe that calls for buttermilk powder. What is it ?
Buttermilk powder is to buttermilk as instant coffee is to coffee.





The beverage is sprayed at relatively high temperature into a tower that's kept under vacuum. The water vapor flashes off, and you're left with a dry powder.I have a recipe that calls for buttermilk powder. What is it ?
We sell it , it is as described , try a heath food store....
It is just like powdered milk...only it is made from buttermilk.
I've bought it in my grocery store before in the baking section next to the powdered eggs and stuff. It's great, b/c who wants to buy a quart of buttermilk for a recipe that you only need maybe 1 cup for? The brand I bought is called Sayco. I think it works great, and their pancake recipe on the back of the container is really good, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment