Thursday, December 24, 2009

Is there a substitue for Meringue Powder?

I am taking a cake decorating class and the icing recipe calls for meringue powder. Every grocery store I checked has never heard of it. I know meringue is just eggs whites so I figure I could probably add that but I don't know what ration to confectioners sugar to use or if I need to add any other ingredients to make the substitute ingredients work.Is there a substitue for Meringue Powder?
If you go to a craft store, you will find the meringue powder. Any store that carrys Walton's supplies should have the meringue powder. The reason you use the powder instead of the actual egg whites is because of bacteria from uncooked eggs. Two stores that may carry it are Michael's and JoAnns. Give them a call.Is there a substitue for Meringue Powder?
If you are making icing which is uncooked, you run the risk of salmonella. If you can't find meringue powder, you might be able to find pasteurized egg whites in the section with the eggs. From what I can see, use 2 large egg whites for 5 tablespoons meringue powder. Each egg white is 1 oz. of pasteurized egg whites.
Walmart craft department, any craft store.

No comments:

Post a Comment